Also available in: French
The colorful fall landscape also means the imminent arrival of cold weather. Keeping your little ones warm during the winter season is important and it starts with the right choice of winter boots. In this article, see the answers to the questions most asked by parents when it comes to choosing kids’ winter boots.
Through this article, discover the answers to these 8 questions:
- How do you choose the right size of winter boots for kids?
- What type of insulation is the warmest for kids’ winter boots?
- How many grams of insulation are needed in kids’ winter boots?
- How do you cut the moisture in kids’ winter boots?
- What type of sock is best for kids’ winter boots?
- How to keep kids’ winter boots looking good for a long time?
- Is it possible to wash kids’ winter boots in the washing machine?
- At what temperature should kids wear winter boots?
Start shopping now before the first snowflakes fall.
1. How to choose the right size of kids’ winter boots?
Choosing the right size is very important because it directly impacts the efficiency and comfort of the boot. If a child wears winter boots that are too big, he or she may develop blisters due to the heel lifting up when walking. It is important to make sure that the winter boot is not too small either, as this can cause poor circulation. It is recommended that you have your children try on winter boots with the appropriate socks, which are the ones they will wear most often. This way, you can ensure that you choose the right size of winter boots for your child, based on their needs, to maximize the performance of the boot.
Tip for determining the right size winter boots for your child
For parents who prefer to shop on their own, you can check your child’s foot length at home. Before going to the store, choose one of these two options and bring the chosen document with you: simply draw the outline of your child’s foot with a felt-tip pen on a piece of cardboard and then cut it out. You can also print the size guide downloadable here to determine the right size for your child’s winter boots.
2. What type of insulation is the warmest for kids’ winter boots?
The layer of air on either side of the felt in a child’s winter boot is an important factor in determining the quality of the insulation. Kids’ winter boots with a removable liner have an unparalleled advantage: the fact that the felt can be replaced makes for a nearly new winter boot. This type of felt also provides a higher level of warmth. Waterproof neoprene or rubber boots, which do not have felt, also provide a high level of warmth and keep feet dry.
3. How many grams of insulation are needed in kids’ winter boots?
It is important to know that the effectiveness of a child’s winter boot depends greatly on the activity being performed. The needs differ depending on the use that the child will make of it: playing outside, going to school, or practicing an outdoor activity, for example. That being said, the most accurate value to measure the warmth of a boot is the insulation weight, which corresponds to the density of fiber. This data varies between 200, 400 and 600 grams and the higher the value, the more the boot is qualified as cold resistant. Be careful, it is once again essential to consider the type of activity practiced by your child. A winter boot that is too warm during an outdoor physical activity will cause moisture and the cold will quickly take hold of their feet. Therefore, if your child engages in several high-intensity winter activities, a winter boot with 200 or 400 grams of insulation is sufficient if combined with the right sock.
Tip for increasing insulation in kid’s winter boots
One way to increase the insulation in a boot is to choose a lower weight of insulation, but combine it with a wool sock. It is also possible to add foot warmers inside the winter boot to provide better protection against the cold. Be careful, never put the heating products directly in contact with the skin to avoid burns.
4. How to avoid moisture in kids’ winter boots?
One way to cut out moisture in a kid’s winter boot is to ensure good breathability of the boot and the accompanying sock. This has a great impact on the comfort of the winter boot and helps to wick away the moisture that makes your feet cold. Therefore, it is preferable to opt for waterproof boots and find out the breathability index of different materials. In fact, certain materials are preferable for waterproofing and breathability, such as the Gore-Tex membrane or leather. These will be more waterproof and will prevent water and humidity from infiltrating the boot, while providing good breathability during physical activity. After each use, it is recommended to dry the boots to remove all traces of moisture.
5. What type of sock is best for kids’ winter boots?
The type of sock plays a significant role in the breathability of the boot. In particular, a cotton sock should be avoided. It is preferable to opt for a synthetic material or wool, especially merino wool, because it allows better moisture management and comfort.
6. How do you keep your kid’s winter boots looking good for a long time?
After carefully choosing your child’s winter boots, it is important to know how to properly care for them to ensure their durability. Here are the main points to know:
- It’s best not to dry boots directly on the heater or fireplace. This dries the glue and can cause premature damage to your boots.
- It is possible to dry the felt near a heat source to remove moisture and ensure that the boots are dry the next time your child wears them.
- It is recommended to clean winter boots regularly with warm water to remove salt. This will prevent scabbing or cracking of the boot.
7. Is it possible to wash kids’ winter boots in the washer?
It is best to avoid doing so. Many specialized cleaners offer a thorough cleaning and optimize the elasticity and breathability of the winter boot. However, it is possible to dry felts in the dryer at a low temperature. This will completely remove the moisture and keep your little ones’ feet warm.
8. At what temperature should children wear winter boots?
Winter boots for kids are recommended when the temperature drops below seven degrees Celsius (7°C). If it is too hot when your children are wearing their winter boots, they will wear out more easily on the asphalt. When temperatures are still mild, waterproof boots without felt can be worn for better breathability. When the cold weather arrives, a child’s winter boot with felt is ideal.
Also available in: French