It is never too early or too late in the season to surprise a passionate angler or adventurer like myself with fishing gear or outdoor equipment. I’m often out on the water, visiting different countries at once and there is nothing more important than having the right gear to keep me comfortable during my adventures.
Here are a few items that I guarantee will be fun to unwrap and practical to carry on an expedition:
1) Passionate angler? Before picking out a rod and reel, having the appropriate tackle box is a must on any angler’s gift list. You can choose from a hard and sturdy tackle box or one that is easy and comfortable to carry like this Flambeau fishing case:
2) For the techy one? If you want to surprise a techy in the family who also enjoys going out on the lake a few times a year, this sonar will be his new favorite gadget. If this one does not fit your budget, you can check out the selection online:
Humminbird‘s HELIX 5 Sonar
3) Globe-trotting adventurer in the family? I travel around the globe quite a bit to find the best fishing hot spots. One thing that I can’t go without on my journey is a comfortable backpack that can fit extra layers of clothing, sandals, glasses, and any extra gear I might need while I’m out filming my TV shows. A sturdy backpack is a must-have on any trip. Best of all, you kill two birds with one stone – use it for your expeditions, but also as a carry-on in the plane.
4) The practical outdoorsy type? Layer it up! Whether they enjoy ice fishing or hiking in cooler weather, layers are everyone’s best friend during cooler days. Stay warm and dry in Merino wool from Icebreaker. Pick out a jacket, zip-up sweater or crew neck top for the person on your list. Here’s one I recommend:
5) Not sure what kind of rod/reel combo to purchase? You’re right, there is such a vast selection to choose from. I personally recommend going to a SAIL store and get expert advice from one of their sales consultants. Whether the person you are buying for is a beginner, or an avid fisherman, they will be able to point you in the right direction while taking your budget into consideration. Don’t forget, although there is not much ice on the ground yet, maybe an ice fishing rod and reel combo will be the perfect gift this season. Lakes will eventually freeze (at some point). Ice fishing is another fun family winter activity that is increasing in popularity.
On that note, have a happy holiday season and a happy new year!